More Than Meets The Mogwai

Saturday, February 11, 2006

RIP - "Beach" Dickerson (1924-2005)

While idly browsing through the internet movie database tonight, I belatedly found out that one of my favorite Roger Corman-American International Pictures bit players/miscellany crew members/producers passed away in early December. Biographical information is limited, so I’ll link to Variety’s medium-length obituary.

A Jack of All Trades who even designed and built Corman’s office building for either his New World Pictures or Concorde-New Horizons, Dickerson remained in the Corman camp until the early 1990s. His last appearance was as a Hotel Clerk, according to the IMDb, in a Don “The Dragon” Wilson vehicle, produced by Concorde-New Horizons.

Pictured above is Dickerson as The Kid, a promising pugilist with an overzealous manager and a girlfriend who just wants him to quit the fighting life, in Rock All Night (1957). It’s probably his largest role.

He'll be fondly remembered by those emotionally invested in b movie fare.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that beach dickerson is my dads friend.peeple should remember him better.

8:07 PM  
Blogger steppling said...

I knew Beach as a kid....he was a friend of my family and my father worked with him several times in low budget films. I remember him as an amazingly genial and gentle man...funny....warm.....and always smiling. I havent thought of him in years....nice that you posted this.

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beech Dickerson is discussed in the book: 'Full Service' by its author.

1:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beach was a great friend and neighbor. I grew up around the corner from him on Beech knoll road. He lived on Kew drive. I wonder what happened to Rusty and Rocky?

1:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It’s to bad that Actor Beach Dickerson doesn’t have a “Find A Grave Memorial”. His fans would have somewhere to write their thoughts to him. I enjoyed his work on “G.I. Blues”. Recently after looking up the movie on IMBd I noticed that almost all of the main supporting cast are gone. And four of them: Kenneth Becker, Beach Dickerson, Robert Ivers, and Mickey Knox, have something in common. Either they were born in December or passed away in December. MAY BEACH REST IN PEACE WITH THE LORD.

9:33 AM  
Blogger wendykick said...

Anonymous.. I am late is finding out about Beach, was Rusty and Rocky his brothers? Was wondering when he moved to California from Georgia. Do you know if his parents were from Glennville? Curious because I live in Glennville and have not heard that last name here, wondering if they were local. Thanks I wish there was more about him out there to find out more about his film career

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Scotty was Beach's butler...and for his service Beach gave him a "life estate" upon his death (in 2005) in the Kew Drive house Beach loved. We owned and had our children across the street in the 80s. Scotty was creepy, always, and wrote that sad book after everyone was dead. Doubt he was really the 'man.' Beach was a peach, friend Nestor Aleamendros willed his Oscar to him, he watched me teach my toddler to swim in his pool. He was the Mayor of Laurel Canyon and our friend!

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home